[EM] Three Category Symmetric MJ

Forest Simmons forest.simmons21 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 29 20:43:55 PDT 2022

El jue., 28 de abr. de 2022 11:34 p. m., robert bristow-johnson <
rbj at audioimagination.com> escribió:

> > On 04/28/2022 11:10 PM Forest Simmons <forest.simmons21 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >

> > Cool how everything is related to Fourier Transforms!
> >

> that was just one app.  I mainly used it for autocorrelation (never
> transforming into the frequency domain) and once or twice used it with an
> FFT to find a peak's location.
>
> But it's about peaks, doesn't matter what the graph is about.
>
> If y[m] > y[m-1] and y[m] > y[m+1]   (m integer)
>
> Then you have a discrete peak at m but an implied peak a little to the
> left or right of m.  I think that the more "precise" location of the peak is
>
>   n = m + (1/2)(y[m+1]-y[m-1])/(2y[m]-y[m+1]-y[m-1])

This function differs from the one used in our "median interpolation"
expression only by the factor of 2 in the first term of the denominator. If
you insert that factor in the contour plot expression, it changes the
rotation pivot from the point (.5, .5) to the point (1, 1) which is the
most natural choice for a different interpolation that doesn't insist that
(x, y)=(.49, 51) is a more favorable judgment than (0, .49), just because
the first point represents a candidate with Top on a (bare) 51% majority of
the ballots, even though it also is judged Bottom by a near majority of
49%. Under median rules the other point representing only 49% first place
votes is considered an inferior position, even though it was not voted last
place on any ballot. That gives a lot of weight to first preferences.

Three level Range voting moves the pivot point to (infinity, infinity), so
all of the iso-clines are parallel with the diagonal y=x, .... the mean
(rather than median) judgment interpolation that is attributed to David
Gale by Andy in his (Andy's) dissertation. That interpolation is not
continuous at the boundary of the middle region with the outer two regions,
but serves perfectly well as a second order tie breaker ... when the first
order tie breaker (the correct median interpolator) needs further
resolution.

So we have three prominent possibilities for the pivot ...
...(infinty,infinity), (1, 1), and (1, 1)/2.

In the median judgment context we have no choice ... we must use an
interpolation based on the latter pivot if we want continuity. In other
contexts the (1, 1) pivot is an excellent compromise  between median and
mean judgment.

That peak position estimation is a kind of quadratic interpolation, while
our median interpolation formula was based on uniform rotation of a line
through a pivot point. Deeper insight into the connection between these two
kinds of interpolation would be satisfying.

I remember dealing with something similar back in my digital filter days:
it turns out that if x(n)=exp(jwn), then the ratio

r=(x(n+1)-x(n-2))/(x(n)-x(n-1))

simply reduces r=2cos(w)+1, as I remember correctly. It gives you a Quick
and Dirty way of estimating the dominant frequency of a sinusoidal signal
added to a constant (dc) signal. [Any DC voltage drops iut as does any
amplitude or phase delay.]

In a noisy environment do a least squares fit of r to the over determined
set of equations ...

{x(n+1)-x(n-2)=r(x(n)-x(n-1))| n=3, 4, 5...k}

Then w is given approximately by

w=ArcCos((r-1)/2).

-Forest