[EM] So I got an email... / Binomial STV

Richard Lung voting at ukscientists.com
Mon Apr 11 12:53:17 PDT 2022

Thank you, Kevin,

I would not expect to see exactly the same result with Binomial STV as
traditional STV, especially in the single member case. This is because
single memer preference voting, in all its variations, does not have a
rational count, but only a less accurate ordinal count of more or less.
BSTV uses keep value ratios, for both an election count and an exclusion
count (of preferences in reverse). In the case of (multi-member) STV
there is a rational election count but not a rational exclusion count,
so there is less dearth of preference information, there, but still a
dearth, compared to BSTV.

The difference this makes to the voters (for whom the systenm is for) is
that they are informed:   Vote for the candidates, in order of greatest
choice. Vote also for the candidates in reverse order of least choice.
Your last preference (according to the number of candidates) counts as
much against a candidate as your first preference counts toward a candidate.

In short, the more preferential information obtained gives voters more
power of choice.

In test elections, I would look for the onset of an entropy effect: In
Irish STV elections, the use of preferences rapidly falls off. This
might be less marked with BSTV because of the power to express dislikes,
as well as likes. The comparison I am thinking of is the arrow of time
(pun not intended). Laws of physics make time reversible. Just as BSTV
makes preferences reversible. But times arrow prevails, and this is
accounted for by entropy. Some BSTV elections might not have this
"entropic" effect, so it  might be necessary to use significance tests
of how far candidates are from a quota, without solely relying on an
over-all BSTV result based on a geometric mean candidate keep values of
the election count and the exclusion count.

Regards,

Richard Lung.