[EM] So I got an email... / IIA

robert bristow-johnson rbj at audioimagination.com
Sun Apr 10 18:51:59 PDT 2022

I want to say something and ask something here.

Say:  It's not my intention that only Eric Maskin and Nicolaus Tideman are worthy academics to talk to the Vermont legislature committees about Ranked-Choice Voting and the advantages to be gained by moving from Hare to Condorcet.  I recognize there are some heavy hitters here, too.  Maskin has a Nobel and there is a nice Scientific American article from 2004 with his name on it, and he dubs Condorcet RCV as "true majority rule".  I am sorta collaborating with Nic Tideman about all of this.  Someday I'm gonna encode Ranked Pairs into portable C code for him.  But I think a simpler language for legislative use is better, which is why I had been proposing either Bottom-Two Runoff or just straight-ahead Condorcet (with plurality as the contingency if no CW).  Much easier to write language.  Sorry Markus, but I can't even approach how to do Schulze with a procedure in normal text.

Ask:  If you want to get on a list of scholars/researchers to advise the State of Vermont to pivot to Condorcet before re-adopting RCV for the first time since the 2010 repeal in Burlington, please let me know.  I will connect you to real people.  But I wanna discuss with you first.

It's a fool's hope, but there is hope that history can again be made in Vermont, because many legislators remember the Burlington repeal, and the Sec of State's office is keen on Precinct Summability.

But the IRV folks are getting really pushy.  They smell victory at the finish line, too.  I'm Don Quixote, and the FairVote train hasn't rolled over me yet.

Always happy for help.

robert