[EM] Winners or representation?

Richard Lung voting at ukscientists.com
Sun Apr 3 02:54:39 PDT 2022

It’s putting oneself at an unfair disadvantage to try to prove something
that doesn’t exist. The term “winners” assumes some preordained election
results, that one has to try to discover. The statistical assumption, as
distinct from the determinist assumption, is that there are only best
estimates of representation. Some candidates win beyond reasonable
doubt. Other contests may leave the voters indifferent, with no
candidates a clear winner. This is just a fact of life that defies
mathematical certainty.

Laplacehad a metaphysical belief in determinism. (That is an interesting
hypothesis, as Bonaparte commented.) Yet his adjudication between
Condorcet and Borda appeared in his treatise on probability. Elections
are a statistic. (I follow the account by JFS Ross, in Elections and
Electors.)

Laplacehad the first and perhaps the last word on Condorcet pairing or
Round Robin elections: they don’t take into account the relative
importance of preferences.

Over a century later, in the 1940s, this message was reinforced, by SS
Stevens on scales of measurement. Judging winners solely by binary
elections, staying at the least powerful, nominal scale of measurement,
leaves out a comparison of the whole range of candidates, at once, that
is to say, an ordinal scale of measurement, which preference voting is
the next, more powerful scale. It is the difference between absolute,
all or nothing choice, of a single order of preference, and the relative
choice of a whole range of preferences.

Condorcet pairing may occasionally contradict preference voting. But
this cross-check never departs from minimal choices, which do not
justify a veto over the more general relative choice of preference voting.

Moreover, a case in about 135, like Burlingtonis not statistically
significant enough, to inaugurate Condorcet pairing as an arbiter in
(preferential) elections, considered as statistical estimates.

After the nominal and ordinal scales, Stevens progresses to the
successively more powerful interval scale and ratio scale. These are
both proportional measurements. The only difference is that the interval
scale lacks a real zero. An example is the conventional temperature
scales like Fahrenheit and centigrade. Their different zero points on
the scale are a matter of convention, such as making zero, when water
freezes (either in salt water or fresh-water).

The quota is an example of a ratio scale. Party lists, however are a
particular vote in a general election. Likewise, the local constituency
vote in a national election. The Andrae or Hare system are the more
logical general vote in a general election. The interval scale appears
in voting method, in surplus or deficit of a quota, which sets its
conventional level of zero. A candidate whose votes exactly equal the
quota has a zero surplus and a zero deficit of votes.

The transferable vote possesses all four scales of measurement; a rare
quality in voting methods, which I have long since argued qualifies it
as something like scientific method of elections.

Regards,

Richard Lung.