[EM] Can anyone help with straight-ahead Condorcet language?

robert bristow-johnson rbj at audioimagination.com
Tue Sep 14 18:16:55 PDT 2021

>From what you translated from French, it looks like Condorcet was describing Ranked Pairs.  I wonder if Nicolaus Tideman would see it that way.

Okay, Steve, all this explanation of the RP concept is good, but the question is if it is needed in the legal language or if your proposition is good enough by itself:

>     Construct the order of finish by processing the majorities one at a time, from largest majority to smallest majority, placing each majority's more-preferred candidate ahead of their less-preferred candidate in the order of finish (unless their less-preferred candidate has already been placed ahead of their more-preferred candidate).

Is that a well-defined procedure that instructs exactly how the "processing the majorities" are done?  What is a "larger majority" or "smaller majority"?  Do you mean margins?

This is similar to the RP alg that I have been working on (but sorta set aside for now).  Each candidate has a list of "defeators" who are other candidates who have defeated the subject candidate or has defeated someone else who has defeated the subject candidate.  In order of largest margin (or whatever "defeat strength") to smallest, when considering adding a runoff pair to the list of "locked" runoff pairs, one looks at the defeated candidate in that pair under consideration.  If the defeated candidate is already in the list of defeators of more preferred candidate, then that runoff pair is not locked and is ignored.  If the defeated candidate is not on the defeator list, then the pair is locked and the preferred candidate and all of the preferred candidate's defeators are merged onto the defeated candidate's defeator list.

But putting this all into C code is one thing, putting it all into legislation is another.

I just don't think that the short instruction in that one paragraph is enough to fully define RP in legislation.

For "straight-ahead Condorcet", I hadn't thought that Condorcet created a method. I just thought it was applying this Condorcet criterion universally (that means for every possible pairing of candidates):

> "If more ballots are marked ranking Candidate A over Candidate B than the number of ballots marked to the contrary, then Candidate B is not elected."

How do we turn that maxim into concise procedural language?

r b-j . _ . _ . _ . _ rbj at audioimagination.com

.
.
.