[EM] Non-proportional representation

Colin Champion colin.champion at routemaster.app
Wed Oct 20 09:21:14 PDT 2021

In the British electoral system MPs are chosen by local single-winner
elections and a government is constructed from a plurality of MPs, with
an opposition being made up of whoever's left over. A single party
usually ends up with a majority of MPs. The standard alternative voting
systems sacrifice the likelihood of getting a majority, and their
proponents tend to argue that the shift to coalition government would be
a benefit. For my part I find it hard to agree, and suspect that people
who think this way assume that any majority government will be
unrepresentative and therefore needs to have its wings clipped, or may
just be pretending that a bug is a feature.

The AV+ system was intended to provide a judicious compromise between
fairness and decisiveness but it was a dog's breakfast. For this reason,
if I was asked which voting method I favoured, I'd be embarrassed to
answer. What follows is a suggestion of my own, stemming from the fact
that I haven't seen any others which try seriously to solve in a fairer
way the problems addressed by the British electoral system.

The electorate is divided into constituencies and the ballot papers are
much like now. Each ballot paper contains a list of candidates and their
party affiliations (at most one candidate per party). The difference is
that voters are asked to assign an order of preference to the
candidates, and that it is the party rather than the individual who
plays the main role in the system.

The first step is to decide which party forms the government. This is
done by applying a simple Condorcet method (such as Minimax) to the
ranked party preferences, lumping together the ballots from all
constituencies. One party is identified as the winner.

The remainder of the electoral process is determined solely by voters'
first preferences. The second step is to decide how many seats in
parliament are assigned to each party. The winning party, which will
form the government, is treated separately. If its proportion of (first
preference) votes is p, then its proportion of seats will be (1+p*p)/2.
The remaining seats will be distributed amongst the remaining parties in
proportion to their first preference votes.

The final step is to decide which candidates will be included in the
party quotas thus determined. This is done to maximise the number of
voters represented by their first-choice candidates, which is a linear
programming problem solvable by the simplex algorithm (which is
guaranteed not to return fractional numbers of candidates per constituency).

CJC