[EM] More thoughts about cardinal methods

Forest Simmons forest.simmons21 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 12 16:18:23 PDT 2021

PR lottery methods avoid a lot of these utilitarian philosophical conundra
by conceding at the outset that a faction that bullet votes for X will
guarantee at least a P percent probability of X being elected, where P is
the percentage of voters in that stubborn faction.

Determinism puts up a high hurdle for proportionalty that can be surmounted
in multi-winner contexts, but not really in single winner contexts except
in rotation/time/resource sharing that replaces probability with infinitely
divisible goods and/or "bads."

Other than that, as Jobst has pointed out, all of the popular "consensus
building" methods in the literature rely on subtle psychological bullying
on the one hand, and acceptance of the same by weaker more abnegated
personalities on the receiving end.

They will shame you and wear you down until you finally concede with a
strained smile, a handshake, and one final chorus of Zumbaya! [my words,
not Jobst's]

FWS