[EM] Steve's reply:: Deterministic Epsilon Consensus Idea stimulated by a question of Steve Bosworth

steve bosworth stevebosworth at hotmail.com
Thu Oct 7 19:58:07 PDT 2021

TO: Forest
FROM: Steve
Currently, I understand your pursuit of the optimal "Epsilon" to be an interesting mathematical challenge for you. However, I do not yet see it as having the prospect of improving the use MJ. Partly, my question follows from you previously agreeing that voting using grades is more meaningful than using numbers. You answered: "Yes, I fully agree on that point; nobody I know likes it when the nurse asks how much it hurts on a scale of one to ten!"

If so, the highest median-grade of any MJ election must be either Excellent, Very Good, Good, Acceptable, Poor, or Reject. How could an election benefit from replacing these judgments with numbers?

In any case, what portion of the electorate is going to understand an explanation of a new voting system that includes one of your phrases below like: "... the winning votes consist of fractions greater than (1 - 1/k) of the ballots."

I look forward to our dialogue.
Steve