[EM] In defence of IRV

Colin Champion colin.champion at routemaster.app
Sun Nov 14 01:38:46 PST 2021

Forrest wrote: "If people interested in voting methods reform would take
the time to digest these basic facts .... they would never accept any
'ranked choice voting' method unless it satisfied the Condorcet
Criterion." I think that a defence can be offered for people who reject
the Condorcet principle.

Firstly, some published evaluations show no appreciable difference in
performance between Condorcet methods and IRV. In Tideman and
Plassmann's 2012 paper, Table 1 appears to show that when the number of
voters is large, Condorcet methods are 94.46% accurate and AV/IRV is
94.41% accurate. A twentieth of a percent difference! In Table 2 of
Green-Armytage et al (2015) you get similar numbers: Minimax is 95.19%
accurate and "Hare" 94.45%. If the difference really is that small, then
IRV has the advantage of known resistance to tactical voting and has the
benefit of having been widely used in practice. There should be no
argument that IRV is the way to go.

In my view there are two weaknesses with this argument. I think (i) that
having 3 candidates in a multidimensional space makes the problem
unrealistically easy, and (ii) - notwithstanding (i) - that these
results could only have been produced by buggy software. I'll say more
about this later. But Tideman is probably the most respected worker in
the field. You can't argue against IRV if you don't admit that his
evaluations have been seriously misleading.

Secondly, it seems to me that supporters of IRV generally acknowledge
the defects of their method (while probably not being aware of their
magnitude). They consider that at least IRV has a realistic chance of
adoption. They point to the fact that their critics are divided into
1000 factions, that they attach too much importance to theological
arguments about logical criteria, and that they often end up advocating
unrealistic methods. This allows Condorcet supporters to be portrayed as
lacking social responsibilty: see
https://rangevoting.org/SchulzeComplic.html.

Finally, voting methods are generally part of larger electoral systems,
and decisiveness is often as important as fairness. In the UK, electoral
reformers start off thinking they have irresistable logical arguments,
and end up getting bogged down in unwinnable debates about the need for
'firm government'. (I can say nothing about the USA, whose institutions
I don't understand.) Unless you can argue that a change of voting method
will not do more harm through indecisiveness than it does good through
fairness, you haven't really got an argument in favour of Condorcet methods.
=====
On evaluations. The Median Voter Theorem (which I think Forrest was
alluding to) predicts that if a large number of voters come from a
symmetric distribution (eg Gaussian), then all Condorcet methods will
elect the candidate closest to the point in space which minimises the
sum of distances to voters (ie. the centre of the distribution). This is
not quite the same as electing the candidate who minimises the sum of
distances to voters, who will be identified as the rightful winner under
standard evaluation procedures. But the difference is tiny, and cannot
account for the 5% error rate attributed to Condorcet methods by Tideman
and his coworkers.

I described an evaluation of my own in a previous post. I used Gaussian
mixture models instead of pure Gaussians precisely in order to escape
from the Median Voter Theorem; otherwise the Condorcet systems would
have been indistinguishable from each other. But it's a trivial change
to revert to a single Gaussian. When I do so, the accuracy of Condorcet
methods is 99.73% and that of IRV is 95.81% (3 candidates, 30001 voters,
a million trials). Similar to Tideman et al for IRV; totally different
for Condorcet.

Now see what happens when we go up to 9 candidates. The accuracy of
Condorcet systems drops to 99.43%... and the accuracy of IRV to 56.92%
(these figures from 100k trials).

To be quite clear: I am not saying that Tideman's evaluations are wrong
because they contradict my own; I am saying that they are wrong because
they contradict the Median Voter Theorem; that my own evaluation
attaches numerical figures to an otherwise qualitative argument; and
that the Tideman results are also difficult to reconcile with those in
other published evaluations (Chamberlin and Cohen (1978) and Darlington).

Incidentally there was also a much earlier evaluation by Samuel Merrill
III. He defined utility as 'decreasing linearly with (Euclidean)
distance' (p26) which brings him under the purview of the Median Voter
Theorem, but he nonetheless found the Borda count to outperform
Condorcet methods. In his own words (p24) "we will see that this
criterion [ie. of maximising utility] and the Condorcet criterion need
not agree". I don't trust Merrill's evaluation either, and in this I
have some powerful support from Warren D. Smith, who wrote ("Range
voting", p24) "That suggests that Merrill's computer program had bugs".

CJC.