[EM] STAR voting equals Borda count with top two runoff?

VoteFair electionmethods at votefair.org
Tue May 4 09:48:53 PDT 2021

Kristofer's example (below) helps me realize that I didn't clarify
something important:

Here in Oregon everyone votes by mail by marking a paper ballot.  This
means there is no way to enforce the Borda-count requirement that a
voter use each preference level for only one candidate.

Also the use of paper ballots means that if there are 10 candidates
there isn't enough space to offer 10 preference levels.

To avoid the complication that an election with 4 candidates would offer
4 preference levels on a Borda-count ballot and 6 preference levels on a
STAR ballot, let's suppose that the Borda-count (with runoff) ballot
always has 6 preference levels, regardless of the number of candidates.

And let's assume that ballots are not ignored when a voter marks a
Borda-top-two-runoff ballot with two or more candidates at the same
preference level.

With these paper-ballot-based constraints, Kristofer's example of Borda
ballots ...

 > Borda:
 > 60: A > B1 > B2 > B3 > B4
 > 40: B2 > B1 > B3 > B4 > A

... would change the "Borda" ballots into the same as the STAR ballots:

 > STAR:
 > 60: A (5), B1 (0), B2 (0)
 > 40: B1 (5), B2 (5), A(0)

And to use Kristofer's wording here ...

 > Not really, because the scale is truncated and it's possible to both
 > equal-rank and skip ranks.

...  the truncation issue, equal-rank issue, and skipping ranks issue
become the same for both methods.  Correct?

Which I believe means the first sentence here is valid:

 > So, in a sense you're right. But the distinctions make all the
 > difference: that the scale is fixed means it's harder to win by fielding
 > a thousand candidates, and that voters can skip ranks make it even
harder.

In other words the Borda-count method with the addition of a top-two
runoff, and always using 6 preference levels regardless of the number of
candidates, and not tossing out ballots unless the marks are not clear
(about whether the oval is marked or not marked), would yield the same
results as STAR voting.  Is this correct?  Or am I overlooking something
else?

Richard Fobes