[EM] Monotonicity irrelevance criterion

Kristofer Munsterhjelm km_elmet at t-online.de
Sat Mar 20 11:30:02 PDT 2021

Suppose that, in some election, a method places A ahead of B and C, and
that A beats B pairwise but is beaten by C p.w.

What types of election methods have the property that raising A does not
change the relative order of B and C? I.e. that if the outcome is
A>...>B>...>C>..., then raising A can never change it into A>...>C>...>B>...

Clearly, LIIA implies this criterion, but it seems otherwise quite strong.

(I don't think minmax passes - because raising A past B on some ballot
could change the magnitude of A>B on so that C advances past B.)

-km