[EM] Sequential Pairwise Elimination versus Sequential Loser Elimination

Forest Simmons fsimmons at pcc.edu
Mon Mar 1 20:12:51 PST 2021

From: *Forest Simmons* <fsimmons at pcc.edu>

This is a continuation of the above named topic/subject discussion starting
with an example showing Chicken Defense compliance ...

Here's the scenario with sincere preferences in brackets:

49 C
26 A>B
25 B [sincere B>A]

Implicit Approval plus least minimum support:

A 26 + 26
B 51 + 25 (B against A)
C 49 + 49

So the seed/agenda order is A(52), B(76), C(98)

The pairwise defeat cyclic order is A beats B beats C beats A.

So the sequential pairwise single elimination tournament summary is

B is eliminated by A, which in turn is beaten by C, the Sequential Pairwise
Elimination winner.

As we now show, the B faction would have done better by voting sincerely:

In that case the only change in seed score would be A's, from 52 to 77, due
to an increase in A's approval, so the line up would be

B, A, C

But this time in the second contest A beats C, 51 to 49, so the sincere CW
wins which is indeed better for B.

What if, the sincere preferences [in brackets] were ...

49 C [C>B]
26 A>B
25 B [B>C]

In this case B is the sincere CW: B beats A, 74 to 26, and B beats C, 51 to
49.

Evidently C has attacked B by truncation (partial burial ... full burial
would play out the same way), while the B faction has employed the standard
CW prudent defense of truncation below the sincere CW.

We have just seen that the Chicken Defense Criterion requires C or A to win
in this configuration, but the Plurality criterion requires A to lose. It
seems that the same ballot configuration requires C to win to satisfy
Chicken Defense and Plurality, and for C to lose in order to defend against
(i.e. not reward) a truncation or burial attack by C.

Fortunately, the natural way out of this dilemma is for the A faction to
pursue its best interest by raising its compromise B to equal first. Then B
becomes the ballot Condorcet winner, the implicit winner, and the candidate
whose min pairwise support is greatest, all at once!

In sum, in the face of rational voters pursuing their own interests, voters
can defend against burial of the sincere CW without any ballot rank
reversals.

Contrast this with IRV where voters can save their compromise fall back
sincere CW candidate from the center squeeze effect (so prominently
ubiquitous in IRV Yee diagrams) only by blatant insincere order reversals
that painfully violate the conscience of the honest voter!

Or for that matter, how would the sincere CW candidate B fare with sincere
ballots in the 2nd scenario above? She would be eliminated in the first
round ... with no attack from the C faction!
. under zero information conditions! No way to defend!

Under perfect information the A faction could save its compromise B by
insincerdly burying favorite A under B... ouch!!!

Isn't election reform supposed to save us from lesser-evilism? (as much as
possible)

I hope you find this explanation to be helpful. It is intended to help
leaders understand the stakes, and give them enough understanding to see
why zero strategy rankings are optimal for SPE (as with IRV) and that SPE
defense against complete information manipulative attacks are thwarted with
greater finesse (with less violence to the conscience) compared to Voting
under IRV.

True, no method is perfect, but some methods are much better than others on
the qualities that matter most!

Is there any good property of IRV that is more important to you than the
properties we have discussed so far? How about Later No Help/Harm?  Are you
willing to trade monotonicity and the Condorcet Criterion for them?

Let's get all these concerns out in the open!

I have suggested that the compliances of SPE are the most important ones
... sincere strategy optimality under zero info conditions including no
accidental eliminatiln of the Condorcet Candidate,  ease of defending the
CC when under strategic attack, efficient precinct summability and
transparency of the count, Clone Independence, Monotonicity, Plurality, and
Immunity to Chicken Attack.

The most important missing criterion is the FBC, which seems to be
incompatible wth the Condorcet Criterion....but our SPE has a base method
for the agenda/seeding that satsfies the FBC .. giving max FBC compliance
for a Condorcet method. In fact, if you skip the elimination steps and jump
straight to the last (i.e. most promising) candidate in the lineup/agenda
you get a perfectly good FBC compliant method ... the Approval Stable
Winner ... the candidate whose sum of Implicit Approval and
Minimum Support against any other candidate is maximal.

I'll take a break here ...