[EM] Ballot Data Format

VoteFair electionmethods at votefair.org
Sun Jun 6 17:19:57 PDT 2021

I agree with Neal that the word "image" should not be part of the ABIF name.

I suggest that ABIF can stand for:

"Aggregated Ballot Information Format"

(And perhaps another appropriate "A" word can be used instead of
"aggregated," if needed.)

I also suggest adding a case number.

A case number allows the ballot data to be processed through separate
vote-counting software while the metadata -- such as precinct number,
political-party affiliations, etc. -- can follow a different path and be
re-joined to produce the published results.

In particular, my vote-counting software focuses on the numbers/counts,
and I use different software (written in my Dashrep programming
language) to process the text info.

The use of a case number also has other benefits.

Otherwise, bravo for making it easier to share and transfer data between
vote-counting programs.

Richard Fobes