[EM] Ballot Data Format

John Karr brainbuz at brainbuz.org
Sun Jun 6 13:28:42 PDT 2021

After creating two native formats for a Vote Counting program (both
designed to be the minimum that could implement the ballots I needed at
the moment, not suitable as a standard), what I would propose is an
expressive format that can be implemented identically in either JSON or
YAML.

A record would need two top level keys HEADER and BALLOTS.

The HEADER would contain fields used to describe the election. These
might include an alphanumeric identifier for the ballot set itself, keys
for date and location of the election, division (if a partial) and a
candidate key that would allow assigning a short identifier to each
choice. If a Choice is "Maine Blueberry Sorbet, Maggie\'s Ice Cream and
Confectionery, Collinsport, Maine, USA" or
"抹茶アイスクリーム、京都ナンバーワンアイスクリーム、京都、日本" a shorter
Numeric or ASCII Alpha-Numeric identifier is desirable for the BALLOTS
section, the long field could default to the short one when the long was
omitted.

The BALLOTS section would have several different structures defined.
regular RCV ballots are easily represented with a simple array, Range
Ballots need to be key value pairs, RCV ballots allowing equal
preferences are different, etc. The ballot format would be indicated in
the HEADER. This would also help future proof the format, permitting
revision to add new ballot structures if they are ever needed.

If anyone on this list has experience with the procedures of bodies
(like ietf) that set standards is willing to volunteer to help organize
a working group, I would be eager to participate.

ABIF is a good acronym / short name for such a standard.