[EM] RCIPE version 2

Richard, the VoteFair guy electionmethods at votefair.org
Fri Jul 30 09:48:39 PDT 2021

On 7/28/2021 1:08 PM, Kristofer Munsterhjelm wrote:
 > On 27.07.2021 00:16, Richard, the VoteFair guy wrote:
 >> On 7/26/2021 6:20 AM, Kristofer Munsterhjelm wrote:
 >>> ... Is that right? ...
 >>
 >> Your calculations are correct.
 >
 > Then that's just Borda. Congrats, you've reinvented Borda-elimination :-)

The fact that you believe the RCIPE version 2 method is "borda
elimination" tells me:

* Other people will make the same mistake of associating the method with
the Borda count method, which deserves its poor reputation.

* The similarity would be used to attack the RCIPE (v2) method.

So, I'm choosing to abandon creating a version 2, and stick with RCIPE
version 1.

So, RCIPE continues to refer to IRV with the addition of a "safety net"
that eliminates Condorcet losers when they occur.  That's less likely to
be confusing about what the method is.

Your opinion that RCIPE version 2 is borda elimination is supported by
the following opening sentence in the Wikipedia article titled "Borda
count":

"The Borda count is a family of positional voting rules which gives each
candidate, for each ballot, a number of points corresponding to the
number of candidates ranked lower."

Yet the words "positional voting" link to an article that clearly states
that the points are determined by the candidate's ranking.

And every example in the Borda count article uses a candidate's ranking
position.  None of the examples counts how many other candidates are
ranked below the candidate.

It's true that "a number of points corresponding to the number of
candidates ranked lower" can be equal to the point count associated with
the ranking level.  However that equivalence requires that every voter
is forced to rank every candidate at a different (unique) ranking level.

Interestingly I see that Baldwin's method is "borda elimination."  Correct?

I had expected that RCIPE version 2 was likely to be a method that had
already been invented.  It's so simple, and yet it yields very good results.

So if anyone knows about a method, besides Instant Pairwise Elimination
(IPE), that is similar to what I was calling RCIPE version 2, I'd still
be interested in knowing about that similarity.

Now I'll switch back to creating an animation of RCIPE (version 1).
Fortunately in the process of imagining ways to animate version 2 I've
thought of improved ways to animate version 1.

If I have time I may also animate IPE, which does use the code that
manipulates up arrows with candidate initials on them.

And ideally I'd like to animate the counting done using the
Condorcet-Kemeny method.  (It would show that swapping the
sequence/order moves larger numbers of up arrows into the upper right
triangular area, while the cells with smaller numbers of up arrows move
into the lower left triangular area.)

One final interesting point is that my favorite single-winner method,
the Condorcet-Kemeny method, yields the same popularity sequence as the
Borda count IF every voter can be forced to rank each candidate at a
unique ranking level (and there are no unmarked ranking levels).  If I'm
mistaken about this, please let me know.

Once again, thank you Kristofer for your valuable feedback!!!

Richard Fobes