[EM] Manipulation Resistant Voting

Susan Simmons suzerainsimmons at outlook.com
Sun Jul 18 16:01:47 PDT 2021

>Now suppose there's a typical Condorcet cycle A>B>C>A and the agenda
ordering is A>B>C; so the method proceeds by matching B and C, and then
matching the winner with A, and then the outcome of this is the final
winner.

Good point ... just concatenating binary choices together is not enough.  It is important that the outcome of each binary decision be final, not just the last decision in the sequence.

Suppose, for example, that the method, at every stage, either (1) accepts the next remaining agenda item X as the final winner or (2) eliminates X and applies the method recursively to the remainder of the list?

Then every C supporter would vote sincerely to stick with C, and the A supporters would vote sincerely to eliminate C. The B>C supporters would sincerely vote to keep C, while the B>A supporters would sincerely vote to eliminate C.

So the winner would be A or C depending on whether or not the B>A faction was larger than the B>C faction.

So given the agenda, and the special finality rule (once an option is chosen the winner must be a member of that option) all of the rational choices will be sincere in the sense that they are the choices whose rational outcomes are preferred.

>In reference to an earlier post of mine, suppose we define honesty as
what a Random Ballot type method would return. In your method, this
would be a trace down the tree that ends at the candidate who the voter
prefers most of the candidates at the bottom level of the tree.

But a voter is not at liberty to choose an entire trace. You probably mean that as long as Favorite is a descendant of the current node, if you do not choose the branch that leads to Favorite, then your vote is insincere.

If that's your definition of "sincere" in this context, then you are right ... sincere strategy is not rational.

But it seems to me that when presented with only two choices, branchA or branchB, leading almost surely to final wins for X and Y, respectively, then voting for branchA should not be impunged as "insincere strategy,"  if you truly prefer X over Y.

It's a matter of definition. So perhaps we could distinguish between "naive sincerity" and "rational sincerity."

>Now suppose say, that the tree is

     /
     B       C
   /       /
   D  E    F  G

Technical point: in this tree the only leaves are D, E, F, & G, so A, B, & C can only be decision nodes, not candidates.

>There are some voters whose honest vote is

[more precisely, honest preferences are given by...]

so their honest

 [most hoped for trace? .. a trace is not one of their single choices, so can be neither honest nor dishonest]

 trace would go down the C branch and end at G. However, they know
that if the C branch is chosen, then a vast majority will go for F. Thus
they falsify their ballots to indicate a preference for the B branch

But if they truly prefer the sure rational outcome of the B branch over the sure rational outcome of the C branch, why do you say they "falsify their ballots" by choosing the B branch, the one that leads to their preferred of the only two rationally certain final outcomes (conditioned on the outcome of the root node decision A).

So one can say naive sincerity is violated by this choose-a-branch method, but (it seems to me) realistic, rational, strategic sincerity that accepts the premise of the method is not violated.

The "premise" is that when you choose a branch, you are showing a preference for the likely winner of that branch over the likely winner of the other branch ... NOT implying support for any other preference.  So it cannot be dishonest or "falsification" unless you actually prefer the likely winner of the other branch over the one you chose.

I think this notion of sincerity gives us some traction ... the other one is too stringent to lead to a manipulation proof Condorcet method.

Thanks!

Sent from my MetroPCS 4G LTE Android Device