[EM] STAR Voting Variations

Susan Simmons suzerainsimmons at outlook.com
Tue Jul 13 12:17:06 PDT 2021

SPE, not BTR is Ihe correct (and customary) terminology for this kind of elimination, because the agenda (score order) is set before any of the eliminations take place.

BTR, as in IRV-BTR, is a procedure where there is no "agenda" list .. the order (after the first elimination) is determined on the fly after the eliminations have already begun (which is why BTR methods fail monotonicity), not before the start of the run-off.

The recursive definition was never intended for the public, but only for EM list subscribers and lurkers, to show them that a change of one word ... score to CHAMP (or STAR if you prefer that name) ... could radically improve STAR, making it ISDA compliant while retaining the monotonicity of Score. It just happens that the one word change makes the definition recursive ... a concept that any EM List reader (or any other educated person) should not be afraid to learn about before their brain fossilizes ... and what better context for EM list readers than a message on that list?

To be clear, the intended audience for my messages to the EM list is the subscribers and curious lurkers for the list, not the general public. Like other older EM contributors, I'm trying to help interested new-comers get a better understanding of the various election methods (both good and bad) and the useful principles for comparing them, by walking them through some of the most salient comparisons. Like the oldest EM members, I continue to learn ... including from young people with their fresh perspectives and interesting questions.

Sent from my MetroPCS 4G LTE Android Device