[EM] STAR Voting Variations

Kristofer Munsterhjelm km_elmet at t-online.de
Sun Jul 11 15:58:48 PDT 2021

On 7/11/21 2:55 AM, Susan Simmons wrote:
> STAR is a great gateway method because there are so many different
> directions to tweak/elaborate/improve/generalize it to transform it into
> other simple methods based on similar ideas.
>
> For example, Majority Judgement Top Two Runoff, that uses the exact same
> score ballots, voted exactly the same.
>
>   While STAR pits against each other the two candidates with the
> greatest average ("mean") scores, MJTTR compairs the two with the
> greatest median scores.
>
> Why median instead of mean? Because use of the median gives less
> strategic incentive for voting closer to the extremes, and the
> un-exagerated ratings of MJ voters makes the pairwise comparisons more
> accurate due to fewer strategy induced tied ballot ratings.
>
> Majority Judgement is a score based version of Bucklin that has an
> ingenious way of breaking the median ties that are extremely likely, as
> anyone used to dealing with medians will understand.

What's your opinion on recent variations like usual judgement and
typical judgement?

> That said, there is another metric called "chiastic approval" that is a
> very nice compromise between mean and median ballot ratings ... which we
> will come back to in the future, after considering more of the low
> hanging fruit in another direction ... (to be continued)

I remember one of Heitzig's consensus methods use chiastic approval. Do
you know if the circumstances of the method means that only chiastic
approval will work as a component, or was it chosen for some other reason?

-km