[EM] Best IRV Tweak

robert bristow-johnson rbj at audioimagination.com
Tue Jul 6 19:48:36 PDT 2021

> On 07/06/2021 3:17 PM Susan Simmons <suzerainsimmons at outlook.com> wrote:

Susan, as best as i can tell, this is exactly BTR-STV, which is what i am now trying to persuade the legislature of Vermont to adopt instead of Hare STV (which is the label i am using for what we often call "IRV").  See page 7 in this: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1hh0kWBn7LzxkHkJ_r6FsDyBNmnjC7x4o/view

so i agree that this is the best IRV tweek.  it has a better chance of becoming law in my lifetime than either Schulze or Ranked-Pairs, which i think are superior RCV tabulation methods.  but since they are all Condorcet compliant, the only way they can be practically better than BTR-STV is 1) any STV method can't have equal ranking on the ballot unless we put in fractional votes, and 2) Schulze and RP may deal with a cycle (which has never been known to happen in a government election) better than BTR.

so, for me, getting **any** Condorcet compliant method is better than holding out for the best Condorcet method.

> Operationally, this method is much simpler than IRV:

only because of precinct summability.  otherwise, it's more work than Hare STV.

r b-j . _ . _ . _ . _ rbj at audioimagination.com

.
.
.