[EM] Rank Codes

Juho Laatu juho.laatu at gmail.com
Sun Feb 14 01:20:36 PST 2021

Just a thought.

One simple technique that allows voters to use almost infinite number of different ranks would be to use one long box next to the name of each candidate. Voters would draw a mark in the box (or leave it unmarked). Marks towards the left side of the long box would be considered "good", and marks towards the right side of the box "less good". The ballots would be read by computers that would seek for a mark in each box, and assign a numeric preference value depending on the position of the mark in the box. There would be some additional perpendicular light lines across the boxes to help making the order of the candidates accurate.

BR, Juho