[EM] "we only get one shot" (Re: RCV Challenge)

Daniel Carrera dcarrera at gmail.com
Fri Dec 31 16:44:33 PST 2021

On Fri, Dec 31, 2021 at 2:03 AM Forest Simmons <forest.simmons21 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Yes, perfect for the general public, the politicians, and other voters ...
> but an easy target for the usual FairVote detractors. ... too easy for them
> to point out that unlike IRV, this method can elect the Universal Pairwise
> Loser .... the majority Loser in every head-to-head contest.
>
> But the fix is easy ... instead of  saying " ...elect the candidate
> ranked first on the most ballots ..." just say "...elect the majority
> winner between the top two vote getters .."
>
>  [however you want to describe the instant top two runoff].
>
> People are already used to the idea of top two runoff when there is no
> majority winner ... and the pairwise information is already there for the
> instant version ... no need for a separate poll!

Yeah. I think a top-two runoff has a nice balance between simplicity /
intuitive appeal while avoiding a reversion to FPTP. Arguably top-two
runoff is the most widely used system that is better than FPTP since it's
used in France and it was famously used in the state of Georgia this year.
It's familiar.

Cheers,
--
Dr. Daniel Carrera