[EM] RCV Challenge

Kristofer Munsterhjelm km_elmet at t-online.de
Sat Dec 25 01:53:01 PST 2021

On 24.12.2021 01:08, Forest Simmons wrote:
> Despite our best efforts, I'm not sure that we've yet seen or heard the
> best possible deterministic, Ranked Choice Voting proposals.
>
> In my next message I will submit the best public proposal that I can
> think of in that category (the category of Universal Domain ... i.e.
> based purely on Ranked Choice/Preference information ... equal rankings
> and truncations allowed). Of course, anybody can easily improve on any
> such method by coloring outside of the UD lines ... for example by use
> of explicit approval cutoffs, scores, grades, judgments, virtual
> candidates, and other devices for stratifying rank relations by relative
> importance/strength, as well as probabilities, random ballot drawings, etc.
>
> But let's temporarily put aside all of these power tools and see what we
> can accomplish with screwdriver, pliers, etc.
>
> The challenge is to make the method as simple as possible while
> complying with clone independence, monotonicity, and the other most
> basic criteria like Pareto, anonymity, neutrality, majority, etc.
>
> Simplicity is in the eye of the beholder ... hard to pin down, but you
> know it when you see it.... definitely not just a bunch of ad hoc rules
> cobbled together to patch up an out moded second rate method from
> yesteryear. The fewer seams, the better.

How about this for minmax?

A candidate clears a threshold if he beats every other candidate by at
least the threshold's margin, one-on-one.

Elect the candidate who clears the highest threshold.

(I.e. the candidate who gets closest to a landslide against any opponent.)

It's not cloneproof, though.

-km