[EM] Agenda Based Banks

Susan Simmons suzerainsimmons at outlook.com
Tue Aug 3 12:08:00 PDT 2021

Suppose that A has high approval or high first place support .... whatever is likely to put him at the good end of the agenda ... but knows that C has the broad & deep support necessary to be the sincere CW... in particular beating A pairwise.. and that there is some candidate B that A beats pairwise ... and the sincere preference order of the A faction is (mostly) A>C>B, (among these 3 major candidates)

Then A (emboldened by his presumed favorable agenda standing) gets the bright idea of convincing his supporters to bury C under B to create an artificial Condorcet cycle A>B>C>A.

Without this artificial cycle C would win no matter the agenda order ... but now A, at the top of the agenda has a good chance. In fact, the three members of this Smith set are the only possible winners under ISDA (Independence from Smith Dominated Alternatives).

When Smith has only three candidates, some agenda based methods, like SPE and ABL always elect the cycle member with the best agenda position... in this case A.

Another method DMC (Definite Majority Choice), elects the item in the worst agenda position that pairwise beats every item in a higher position ... which in this case is A if the agenda order of favor is (1) C<B<A, but is C if the order is (2) B<C<A.

How about ABB?

In case (1) C is the first bank deposit, and B is the last, hence the winner.

In case (2) B is the first deposit and A is the last, hence winner.

Both DMC and ABB make A's gambit somewhat risky, and if C's supporters take the standard CW precaution of truncating below C, then A's agenda status becomes least favorable of the three, in which case A loses by any reasonable agenda based method.

How do DMC and ABB compare under Chicken attack?

49 B
26 C>A
25 A (sincere is A>B)

Given implicit approval as the agenda setting criterion, A has the favored agenda spot, which makes A win under SPE and ABL.

Candidate C has the worst agenda position, so the agenda order is C<B<A, which makes Chicken attacker A win under DMC.

So our last hope is ABB. It comes through by electing B... fortunately NOT electing the most favored Banks agenda item!

[When Smith is a triple, Banks = Smith]

The very thing that turned me off about ABB years ago (when it was just TACC) made it impervious to Chicken!

ABB (Agenda Based Banks) looks Better and Better Actually (BBA).

... Forest (sharing Sue's phone)

Sent from my MetroPCS 4G LTE Android Device