[EM] Proportional Representation In The USA

VoteFair electionmethods at votefair.org
Tue Apr 20 17:12:35 PDT 2021

On 4/20/2021 11:55 AM, Jan Šimbera wrote:
 > Dear Richard,
 > this is a very accessible explanation of PR principles!
 > I only have a small point about open list PR methods that are common
 > here in Europe - they most frequently allow preferential voting for more
 > than one candidate (Czech elections use two or four), amplifying the
 > influence of the voters a good deal.
 > Wish you good luck in making U.S. elections more proportional :-)
 > All the best,
 > Jan

Jan, thank you!

Clearly I misunderstand how open list PR usually works.

Yet I'm still confused.  Wikipedia doesn't seem to clarify what
"preference vote" means.

Specifically, this article ...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_list

... refers to "preference vote" but does not have a link.  It does link
to ...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elections_in_the_Czech_Republic

... and that article has a link named "preference vote" but the link
goes back to the "open list" article.  (Sigh)

When I search for "preference vote" Wikipedia sends me to this article ...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Preferential_voting

... which lists multiple articles that relate to this term, none of
which seem to clarify what it means in open-list PR.

Can someone here can remedy this issue on Wikipedia and then point me to
the fixed article?

I think this approach would be more efficient than writing an
explanation just for this election-methods list.

If not, a brief clarification here will be helpful.

Thanks!

Richard Fobes