[EM] I could use some help with advocacy.

VoteFair electionmethods at votefair.org
Tue Apr 13 09:25:03 PDT 2021

Robert, if I'm available I could join you on the Zoom call.

I would be extremely nervous, and prefer having a prepared statement to
read and/or prepared talking points, yet lately I've been getting
experience answering election-method questions via video.  In
particular, some weeks ago I got my feet wet by testifying in an Oregon
state Senate legislative committee meeting via video.

Although eventually I prefer the Condorcet-Kemeny method, currently I'm
advocating Ranked Choice Including Pairwise Elimination, aka "RCIPE"
pronounced "recipe."  That's what we're specifying for the Ranked Choice
Oregon ballot initiative.  Basically it inserts a "safety net" that
eliminates the Condorcet loser when there is one.  Of course it would
have prevented the Burlington failure.

Here in Oregon the fans of STAR voting are pushing the legislature for
their method, so in response I created the following comparison table
that compares IRV with STAR and RCIPE.  It should clarify my perspective
regarding the ambiguous term "RCV."

https://www.rankedchoiceoregon.org/comparison_table_rco_star_irv.pdf

Feel free to share this document if you think that's appropriate.

You have my email address, so contact me as needed.

Richard Fobes
The VoteFair guy