[EM] Single Non-Transferable voting + Approval (or Approval Sorted Margins) as a primary

Ted Stern dodecatheon at gmail.com
Fri Sep 18 15:24:07 PDT 2020

Hi Chris,

Taking your points in reverse order:

Direct democracy would be great, but in the US, at least, it's a long way
off until we can elect representatives who will put us on the path to get
there.

I wouldn't call STAR an abomination, but it doesn't seem to have a firm
foothold in either utilitarian or majoritarian philosophies, and IMO it
fails to find the centroid of voter sentiment even in an idealized
framework like Yee plots.

The proposed method was intended to be a winnowing election in the case
that there are more than 7 candidates, and remove some clone-type of
duplication of candidates at the same time.  So yes, it would replace all
party primaries.  Robert Bristow-Johnson points out that California has an
open primary. Yes, I am aware of that -- Washington State's is similar. It
is a top two single vote primary.  The problem with that is, as pointed out
by Robert and Richard, that some parties might not be represented. Hence
the winnowing primary, allowing more candidates to represent a larger
portion of the electorate.

STV is an interesting idea, although in the sense you describe it, it looks
more like extended IRV. I would like to see someone implement that, but the
other aspect of my testbed script is that it uses score ballots, and I
don't see an easy way to do that.  But STV at least has the virtue of being
hand-countable. I would run it until the smallest candidate total is above
5%, though, up to a max of 7 candidates instead of 6.

Ted