[EM] Single Non-Transferable voting + Approval (or Approval Sorted Margins) as a primary

robert bristow-johnson rbj at audioimagination.com
Fri Sep 18 10:10:41 PDT 2020

> On 09/18/2020 12:48 PM C.Benham <cbenham at adam.com.au> wrote:
>

> Ted,
>
>  I haven't been thinking very much about this topic lately. But I have one or two ideas.
>
>  Abolish the party primaries and just have one big "primary".

Ain't that what they do in California?  They call it their "Open primary".

Problem is, some people are alarmed with there is absolutely no one from their party on the general election ballot.  (Admittedly, they were Republicans, but they were not happy that the only choice they could have was between various Democrats *on* *the* *general* *election* *ballot*.)

I think every party has a right to put their best foot forward, select among themselves the best candidate (from their POV) to put on the ballot.  Of course everyone, whether they are major party, minor party, or independent, must satisfy ballot access requirements (sufficient number of valid signatures on a petition).

But I ain't for the Open Primary.

r b-j                  rbj at audioimagination.com