[EM] What is the most useful definition of "monotonicity"?

Richard Lung voting at ukscientists.com
Sun Nov 15 23:37:05 PST 2020

Monotonicity.

The transfer of surpluses in STV is monotonic. Not so the redistribution
of excluded candidates votes.

FAB STV is completely monotonic, because the votes are transferable, in
a (symmetric) exclusion count, as well as an election count. Hence the B
in FAB for a bi-nomial count. This does indeed make use of the binomial
theorem, for higher order counts. Normally, in an ordinary election, a
first order count would do. That is to say just an election count and an
exclusion count, unqualified by any higher order binomial theorem
refinements.

Regards,

Richard L.