[EM] Framework for adapting Single Winner methods to Multiwinner PR

Ted Stern dodecatheon at gmail.com
Mon Jan 27 12:26:49 PST 2020

I encountered another PR method recently that I think is worth adding to
the discussion:

https://electowiki.org/wiki/Sequential_Monroe

In other words, for each candidate, determine the quota threshold rating
using

score_total = 0
approve_total = 0
threshold_surplus = 0
threshold_margin = 0
for threshold_rating in maxscore:0:-1 :
   score_total_minus_1 = score_total
   score_total += rating * score[threshold_rating]

   approve_total_minus_1 = approve_total
   approve_total += score[threshold_rating]

   if ( approval_total > quota ) then:
        threshold_surplus = approve_total - quota
        threshold_margin = quota - approve_total_minus_1
        break

end for loop

threshold_score = score_total_minus_1 + threshold_margin * threshold_rating

If the candidate's threshold_rating is > 0, then that candidate gets a
composite rating of

    (1, threshold_score/quota, approve_total)

Otherwise, the candidate gets a composite rating of

   (0, threshold_score / quota, approve_total)

Then sort these composite ratings in descending order.

To reweight ballots, Parker Friedland (the originator of the method) uses a
relatively complex method of setting ballots giving the winner a rating
above threshold_rating a weight of zero, while multiplying the ballots
scoring the winner exactly at the threshold_rating by a factor of

   factor = ( 1 - (threshold_margin / score[threshold_rating]) )

(or equivalently, factor = threshold_surplus / score[threshold_rating] )

Alternatively, one could use a simpler factor for all ballots at and above
the rating,

    factor = ( 1 - (quota / approve_total) )

The reason I bring this up is that if you use a Droop quota of  N_ballots /
(M_seats + 1), this method isn't really what I would look at as a good
single-winner method.  Instead, it is trying to find the strongest
preference in the top quota of voters for each candidate, *NOT* the
strongest preference of the total remaining weight of ballots.  But I think
this is more of what one is trying to achieve for all but the last seat of
the multiwinner election, and certainly if you are are trying to satisfy
Droop proportionality.

If one used a Hare quota, this method reduces to Score for the last seat.
But I think it might be just as reasonable to use a Condorcet method such
as Score Sorted Margins for that last seat.