[EM] Arrow's theorem and cardinal voting systems

Steve Eppley seppley at alumni.caltech.edu
Fri Jan 10 03:41:28 PST 2020

I think the spirit of Rob's question is (or should be):  Can any plausibly democratic voting method satisfy this Independence criterion: "Assuming voters' preferences don't change, the winner must not change if another candidate chooses not to compete." (Let's call methods plausibly democratic if they don't privilege any candidates or voters.  In other words, the Neutrality and Anonymity criteria in the literature of social choice theory.)

None can satisfy that Independence.

The last time I checked, advocates of Range Voting acknowledge that when there are only two candidates, optimal voting strategy is to give the highest possible score to the voter's most preferred candidate and the lowest possible score to the voter's least preferred candidate. (Some of those advocates may even think that's sincere voting, bless their little hearts.)  Since that's such an obvious strategy, it's reasonable to assume at least some of the voters will eventually learn to use it (just as many voters have learned to vote for a compromise to help defeat a "greater evil" given Plurality Rule).  Now consider an example: Suppose that given a majoritarian voting method such as Plurality Rule, Rock would beat Scissors, Scissors would beat Paper, and Paper would beat Rock, by a narrow majority in each pairing.  Suppose also that Rock would be the winner if Rock, Paper and Scissors compete given Range Voting (or Approval).  Which one wins if only Rock and Paper compete
given Range Voting (or Approval)?  Obviously, Paper can win, since the majority who prefer Paper can elect Paper using their optimal voting strategy.  Thus the winner can change from Rock to Paper when Scissors doesn't compete, which violates Independence.

Given the fact that strategic voting is possible, many (most?) criteria definitions are "naive."  For instance, a "Condorcet winner given sincere voting" can lose given a voting method that satisfies the Condorcet criterion.  I hope we can all agree that the spirit of the Condorcet criterion is that the sincere Condorcet winner should win (when it exists).  Call that the Sincere Condorcet criterion.  No plausibly democratic voting method can satisfy Sincere Condorcet, but some voting methods can perform better on it than others, by making defensive strategies easier and/or more palatable, or offensive strategies riskier.

I presume the same is true regarding Independence: some plausibly democratic voting methods perform better than others on Independence, even though none satisfy Independence.

For the criterion that matters most to me, I don't have a rigorous definition.  Here's a non-rigorous definition:  The voting method should give candidates who want to win a strong incentive to take positions that the voters themselves would collectively choose given a well-functioning direct democracy... even on issues that most voters don't care strongly about.  Here's how I relate that to voting methods like Maximize Affirmed Majorities (MAM), which facilitate competition, count all pairwise majorities, and pay attention to the sizes of the majorities:  Suppose candidate Alice wants to win, and is considering taking position p on some issue.  Although she knows a majority of the voters prefer alternative q over p, her wealthy campaign donors favor p and most voters care more about other issues.  Given a voting method like MAM, the risk to Alice is that by advocating p, she would create an opportunity for another candidate Bob to enter the race, take position q and copy
Alice's positions on all other issues.  The larger the majority who prefer q over p, the larger the majority who would tend to rank Bob over Alice.  Defeating Alice.  A deterrent against taking unpopular positions to benefit donors.

--Steve