[EM] VoteFair Ranking software version 6.0 in C++ with MIT license

VoteFair electionmethods at votefair.org
Fri Jan 3 16:58:18 PST 2020

On 1/2/2020 3:00 PM, Kristofer Munsterhjelm wrote:
 > The VoteFair ranking is F>C>E>A>G>D>B with Kemeny score 118, but

Yes, the default value for variable
"global_check_all_scores_choice_limit" is 6 and it gives a result that
differs from the (full) Condorcet-Kemeny method.

Increasing this variable to 7 causes the full Kemeny calculation process
to be done across all 7 choices, and it gets the same result as doing
the full Condorcet-Kemeny calculation method.

This is consistent with what I said earlier.

Of course the calculation time for the case in which there is a
Condorcet (rock-paper-scissors) cycle across 50 choices is going to be
way too time-consuming for this software.

As I've also said before, the odds of such a cycle (involving either 7
or 50 choices) happening in a real election is lower than the odds of a
conventional tie.  Either kind of tie can be resolved using a judicial
decision -- like the Bush versus Gore decision from the US Supreme
Court, which was not even an exact tie.

The point remains that the VoteFair ranking software matches the
Condorcet-Kemeny calculations for as many choices as you choose.  The
choice is determined by the value of the variable
"global_check_all_scores_choice_limit".

Thank you for checking.  And especially thank you for providing the case
in the format that I could directly plug into the software.

I have added this case to the GitHub repository.  Again, thanks!

Richard Fobes