[EM] Determining the shape of the least manipulable ranked method

Kevin Venzke stepjak at yahoo.fr
Sat Feb 29 15:22:08 PST 2020

 Hi Kristofer,
Isn't 4 voters an unfortunate number for this purpose, due to all the ties you would have?
On permitted ballot types, it seems like you don't plan to allow much. My (most recent) DNA system supports more ballot types (bullet voting, equal ranking, and ranked-but-disapproved), but maybe by limiting these options, an interesting question could be answered by exhaustively analyzing DNA possibilities.
The major limitations of DNA are:1. each candidate has to be top-ranked by one of the three voting blocs. We can speculate that strict majority favorites would have to be elected, but such scenarios have no location in the DNA string.2. DNA strings can't be uniquely determined for methods that can't be resolved knowing only the ranking of faction sizes. A scheme with four equal-sized voters would avoid that problem.
So if we at least allow bullet voting, each faction has 3 ways to vote (X, X>Y>Z, X>Z>Y), there are 27 scenarios, and at least 3^27 methods (assuming no ties). I guess that is a lot.
If we only allow complete strict rankings, there are only 8 scenarios and 6561 methods, and I've sort of already analyzed this. Except it's in terms of criteria, not overall manipulability. I think there are at most a dozen reasonable methods there. There is not much freedom.
the cycles:A>B, B>C, C>A: A usually wins; Bucklin picks B; BPW (beats-plurality-winner cyclebreaker) picks C.
A>C, B>A, C>B: A usually wins; IRV, C//IRV, and BPW pick B; some odd methods (QR) do pick C.
where the plurality loser is the CW:
A>C, B>C, C>A: C is more common; IRV and DAC/DSC pick A.
A>C, B>C, C>B: C wins except under IRV, which picks B.

where the CW is in majority coalition with the plurality winner:A>B, B>A, C>B: B usually wins; DAC/DSC picks A.
MinMax is probably the least manipulable in this setting, but it would be interesting to measure it.
Kevin