[EM] disappointment vs. regret

Forest Simmons fsimmons at pcc.edu
Thu Feb 20 15:36:08 PST 2020

Now to review the "Minimum Disappointment Covering Enhancement" method:

Ranked ballots with the possibility of equal ranking and truncation are
required, along with access to or the ability to compute (from the ballots)
a random favorite distribution.

An initial candidate x0 is obtained by some election method based on ranked
preference ballots of the type mentioned above. It could be the method
described in my previous message, or it could be River, Random Ballot,
Greatest Implicit Approval, or any other monotonic, clone-free method.

1. If x0 is uncovered, then elect x0.

2. Otherwise, among all of the candidates that cover x0 replace x0 with the
one that minimizes the sum of squares (over all ballots) of the ballot
disappointments for the transition from the previous value to the updated
value of x0.

 3. Return to step 1.

Remember that the ballot disappointment in the transition from candidate x
to candidate y is zero if y is ranked ahead of x, else it is the
probability that random favorite would pick a candidate ranked ahead of y.