[EM] Electoral Fusion and multiwinner races

robert bristow-johnson rbj at audioimagination.com
Mon Feb 3 18:04:23 PST 2020

> On February 3, 2020 8:37 PM Jack Santucci <jms346 at georgetown.edu> wrote:
>

> Good question. Vermont and Idaho may hold the answer, as these are the states with both fusion and MMDs.
>
> As an aside, when New York City had PR-STV, it also had the cross-endorsement version of fusion. Somewhere, I have seen a sample ballot that shows each candidate just once, in the manner you note.

Well, I live in Vermont, and we have a few Progs that have also gotten endorsements from the Democratic party in their district, but their name is shown ONLY ONCE on the ballot.  There is no way for a single voter to vote for that candidate more than once.

But in New York, at least for the Governor's race (and I presume every other single-winner race), a candidate with endorsement from different parties can get their name listed again for each party, assuming that they satisfied the basic ballot access requirements in terms of valid signatures on a ballot petition.

In Vermont, the issue for ballot access (the number if signatures on a petition) and party endorsement are two totally different issues.  A candidate running as Prog and Dem need not get twice the number of minimum signatures.  The number of signatures is the same, but the candidate must be shown as endorsed by the party in the official party caucus results to be listed as multiple-party endorsed.

r b-j                  rbj at audioimagination.com