[EM] Best Deterministic Ranked Preference Method?

Kevin Venzke stepjak at yahoo.fr
Wed Dec 23 21:46:09 PST 2020

Hi Forest,

Here are some thoughts. Recall your original non-monotone method is being called BTT.

Your approval method, I call BTA. I think this method is monotone only if you use an explicit approval cutoff. With implicit approval, raising a candidate (from the bottom) can change two candidates' approval and create a problem.

BTA is quite similar to MinMax(WV) and MinMax(AWP).

I thought it was odd that if one votes A>B (approving both) and B pairwise defeats A, then A can't get credit for this vote. So I took the liberty of devising another method called BTP (P=preferred). In BTP, instead of checking for losses to all the approved candidates, you check for losses to the candidates strictly preferred to the candidate you're scoring. This revised method turns out to be incredibly similar to MinMax(WV). It's not so obvious to me yet why it should be, but for now I'm amazed.

(Comparing BTP to other WV methods, Schulze/River/RP/MinMax are closer to each other than to BTP. Since BTP seems to satisfy Schwartz and mono-raise I wonder if it must have a clone problem or other weird flaw. By some metrics BTP seems to be less good.)

Your idea to make BTA satisfy FBC unfortunately doesn't seem to quite work. I call that version BTAM (M=majority). It's an indecisive method: Consider a scenario with no majorities at all, with perfect scores awarded to everyone. If you break ties with approval, it is very similar to MDDA. A problem for FBC is that your top-ranked candidates may stand in each other's way of getting credit for the vote. Example:

0.384: B>A>C
0.299: C>B>A
0.176: C=A>B  -----> change to C>A=B
0.138: A>C>B
0.002: B>C>A

There's an A>C>B>A majority cycle. Initially B wins. Then A is lowered on some ballots. This has no effect but to allow C to claim those ballots to their score. Now C wins.

That's it for now.

Kevin