[EM] Borda Done Right

Forest Simmons fsimmons at pcc.edu
Wed Dec 2 22:59:35 PST 2020

Greetings Kevin,

I experimented with random favorite probability like Kristofer, and more
generally random approval ballot probability for the probability component
of this DSV method. The approval cut off could be just below top, or it
could be at the truncation line, or it could be voter specified, etcetera.

As long as the truncated candidates on the ballot represent less than 50%
of the probability, it would not mess up the one pass method.

These choices of winning probability estimates, that is the ones based on
random approval ballot probabilities, in general fail mono-raise, which is
why I switched over to the quick-and-dirty direct estimate of the winning
probability distribution.

In any case, a multi round version would probably at least mildly fail
monotonicity, so it wouldn't be a big loss to just go back to the simpler
and more familiar random approval probabilities.

The one pass version has a non-negligible chance of producing tied
approvals ... which is additional motivation for going over to multi pass.

The truth is I'm more interested in (de-cloned) Copeland and Borda right
now, though I always come back DSV Approval eventually.

Best,

Forest