[EM] Best Single-Winner Method (Steve Bosworth)

steve bosworth stevebosworth at hotmail.com
Sun May 26 13:04:47 PDT 2019

Hi Ted,

Thank you both for your response to Cris’s IBIFA and for your discussion of your proposed Relevant Rating (RR) method.

Of course, both IBIRA and RR are great improvements on the methods that are actually being used to elect single-winners.  However, it still seems to me that both fall short of the advantages offered by MJ.  With regard to your description of RR,  please correct any of the self [clarifications which I’ve added within the square brackets].  At the same time, I still seem to be misunderstanding RR because, as yet, I do not see how you have arrived at your conclusions with regard your example election.

In the hope of assisting our dialogue, below I have added a table which records the way MJ would count that election.  That table uses Balinski’s recommended grading language. He argues that the following 6 grades provide a most discerning, meaningful, and informative way for voters to express their judgments about the suitability of candidates for office: Excellent, Very Good, Good, Acceptable, Poor, or Reject.  These six follow the empirical evidence and arguments offered by G.A. Miller (1956,”The magical number seven, plus or minus two: Some limits on our capacity for processing information”. Psychological Review 63: 89-97) and use by Balinski and Laraki Majority Judgment, 2010 MIT.

Correct me if I’m mistaken, but in contrast to MJ, it currently seem to me that your RR suffers from two major flaws:

  1.  RR does not guarantee that the winner is the one candidate who has received the highest available grade on at least 50% plus one of all the ballots containing at least one rating other than 0 (i.e. other than Poor or Reject in the language suggested by Balinski).  Provided an MJ citizen marks their ballot at least with one of the following grades for one of the candidates (Excellent, Very Good, Good, or Acceptable), this grade together with all their default “Rejects” for all the other candidates are counted.  Thus each and every voter equally and necessarily helps to determine each candidates median-grade.  The MJ candidate who has received the highest median-grade is the winner.  My previous post (copied below) explains the strong and relatively simple process by which any tie is broken.
  2.  RR does not treat each citizen’s vote equally.  All the relatively small number of Rejects given to the most popular candidates who gave at least Acceptable to a much less popular candidate are ignored when determining the median-grade of all the candidates (or such median-grades have no relevance for RR).  This is why RR seems both not to guarantee that the winner will be supported by an absolute majority of all those voting, and effectively wastes (ignores) all the votes of at least Acceptable given to unpopular candidates.  This inequality encourages voters to vote dishonestly (tactically).

SEE BELOW PLEASE

I look forward to your clarifications and/or refutations.

Steve