[EM] Defeat strength, Winning Votes vs. Margins, what to do with equal-ranks on the ballot?

Toby Pereira tdp201b at yahoo.co.uk
Fri May 24 03:16:28 PDT 2019

I think the problem with Schulze versus Ranked Pairs or River is that Schulze is more complicated to understand/explain, and also it's not even obviously a method. Also, realistically you'll probably never encounter an election where any of these three would give a different result. I've often heard people say that these methods can give different results, but I don't think I've ever seen an example, and this suggests to me that it would have to be pretty contrived and complex.
But about Schulze not obviously being a method - have a look at the Wikipedia article under "Computation" - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schulze_method#Computation
And it's that last bit that sticks out:
"It can be proven that  and  together imply .[1]:§4.1 Therefore, it is guaranteed (1) that the above definition of "better" really defines a transitive relation and (2) that there is always at least one candidate  with  for every other candidate ."
"It can be proven..." I don't necessarily mind if it takes a complex proof to show that a method obeys certain criterion like monotonicity etc. But this is just about it being a method that can elect a winner. How complex is this proof? I'm just taking it on trust that it works as a method. With Ranked Pairs or River, it's pretty trivial.
And on Warren Smith's rangevoting.org, https://rangevoting.org/SchulzeComplic.html
"(4) If the strongest path from L to W, is stronger than, or at least as strong as, the strongest path from W to L, and if this is simultaneously true for every L, then W is a "Schulze winner." Schulze proved the theorem that such a W always exists (at least using "margins"; I am confused re the "winning-votes" enhancement)."
So even Warren is confused about the proof for winning votes. And bear in mind, this isn't a proof about some property of the method, but that it is even a method.
Toby