[EM] Best Single-Winner Method

Chris Benham cbenhamau at yahoo.com.au
Wed May 22 13:40:04 PDT 2019

Richard F.,

> (If you are referring to something other than MJ, please specify what
> it is.)
I did. Did you mean to refer to MJ?

> On 22/05/2019 3:15 pm, C.Benham wrote:
>
> Richard,
>
> Can you please explain, perhaps with an example, how your "Instant
> Pairwise Elimination" method can possibly "elect a non-Condorcet winner"?

I don't think Smith set is very hard to explain. But you could even omit
that and
just say that if one candidate pairwise beats all the others it wins and
if not we
eliminate any candidate that pairwise loses to all the others and if
there isn't one
we eliminate the candidate that is lowest ranked on the greatest number
of ballots
and then repeat the whole process.

This would ensure that the method meets Condorcet (and Smith) and most
of the
time there will be a CW and a lot of mucking about will be avoided.

Chris Benham