[EM] Single-winner Methods Empower Few?

Abd ul-Rahman Lomax abd at lomaxdesign.com
Thu May 2 15:06:21 PDT 2019

The Iron Law of Oligarchy is very strong, but key to democracy is
*consent.* If the people consent to rule by a few, it is still
oligarchy, but an oligarchy serving the people. I suppose Aristotle
would call that aristocracy.

The minimum level of consent is majority. A higher level of consent will
generally lead to a stronger society, but my experience with "consensus
rules" is that they lead to domination by a minority whenever the status
quo favors them. Hence what I propose is the establishment of strong
tradition for respect for the rights of minorities, without going so far
as to remove power from the majority to decide the limits of power.

In practical democratic rules for deliberative process, these rights are
protected extensively, preventing a mere majority from steamrollering a
significant percentage of members. For example, a motion for the
Previous Question (called "cloture" in the U.S. Senate) requires a 2/3
vote of those present under Robert's Rules. (The Senate reduced that to
60%, and the "nuclear option" uses another democratic loophole: an
absolute majority of eligible voters -- the members -- can amend the
rules at any time. This is the power of a majority, and it is causing
much division because of the increasing power of political parties.

Asset Voting could demolish the dependence on political parties, by
creating a *fully representative* Electoral College which would then
elect an Assembly, each seat being elected by unanimous agreement of
electors holding a quota of votes. When we think of Asset under the
present system, we think of ballots with a limited number of candidates
on them, and ballot access is dominated by parties, but since Asset
wastes no votes, it would no longer be necessary to vote strategically,
sane strategy simply becomes "vote for whomever you trust most," and I
add, generally, "and whom you can personally meet." There could be many
thousands of those registering to be public voters.

Asset will be strongly opposed, it can be expected, by political
parties, by media, and by everyone who benefits from the existing
election system.

Hence I suggest Asset be first implemented in NGOs, because until people
experience it, those forces will convince people that this is a
dangerous reform that will destroy everything we love and create all we
hate.

Score voting is a nice reform, though there is even better (i.e., runoff
voting with score ballots; most voting system reform people have
completely missed the requirement for a majority approval for election,
which was basic democracy.) Approval is the simplest voting reform,
simply Count All The Votes, don't discard multiple votes. But this will
not fundamentally change the system. Asset would.

Not only will there exist a fully representative Assembly, with seats
chosen, not "elected in a contest," but there will also exist an
intermediate body, providing visible communication channels between the
public and the seats, i.e,. the Electoral College, the body of electors,
public voters, so the seats know who elected them (and the public knows
who it voted for, so they will see the actual power resulting from their
vote, even though the electors will not necessarily know who voted for
them.)