[EM] Monotonic Ordering of the Uncovered Candidates (the Landau set)

Forest Simmons fsimmons at pcc.edu
Sat Mar 30 17:36:19 PDT 2019

As in River we start by locking in certain defeats.  As in River no
candidate needs to be defeated more than once to be excluded from the
winner's circle.  Also as in River we lock in the strongest defeats first.
We consider all defeats by cover to be stronger than defeats that are not
part of the covering relation.  If a candidate is covered by two or more
(other) we consider the defeating candidate with the greatest approval to
have the strongest defeat.

So ballots must must allow us to infer both pairwise defeats and an
approval order.  [Any other monotonicically generated order of the
candidates may be substituted for approval if so desired.]

1.  For each covered candidate X, find the highest approval candidate Y
that defeats X, and lock in this defeat Y>X.