[EM] Approval style voting could be used in Brexit Vote in Parliament?

Gervase Lam gervase at madasafish.com
Sat Mar 30 13:17:41 PDT 2019

On Fri, 2019-03-29 at 00:13 +0000, Gervase Lam wrote:
> There is planned to be a second round consisting of rank
> voting
> (probably counted using IRV) of the "least defeated" options on
> Monday,
> but whether this occurs depends on the vote on Friday on the current
> EU
> deal.

Just to say that I heard very briefly on a TV report that the "options"
(whatever they may be) will voted on in a series of votes, which is
more like the traditional way Parliament does votes.  This indicates
maybe that it won't be Approval style or any form of rank voting?  I
suppose we'll all see what transpires this coming Monday and possibly
Wednesday.

Also, I heard a 4 minute interview with a professor relating to the
actual voting process, with the interviewee "name checking" that the
options went through Approval Voting, though it could be argued this is
not strictly true considering that the voting also included No votes
and Abstentions.

The interview also mentions rank voting the options (excluding the
fresh referendum option which he said was so different from the other
options), for which he more or less acknowledged that there are
differing rank voting methods with their pros and cons.  For the sake
of the audience, he wisely avoided naming and describing the ranking
methods.

A link to the interview is below and is available for about the next 27
days. The interview starts at the 35 minute mark.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m0003jrh

Thanks,
Gervase.