[EM] Plurality criterion and the "sincere CW"

Toby Pereira tdp201b at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Jun 30 14:45:13 PDT 2019

 In a previous reply on this subject, I said I'd prefer the definition to be something like:
"If the number of ballots ranking A as the first preference is greater than the number of ballots on which another candidate B is ranked anything other than last or joint last (either explicitly or through implication on a truncated ballot), then A's probability of winning must be no less than B's."
In Woodall's definition you quote, there's no mention of an implicit approval cutoff, but maybe that's because it's implicit rather than explicit! But the point is that the definition refers to votes - "If some candidate a has strictly fewer votes in total..." and by vote it seems to means an explicit ranking of a candidate. And that wording suggests some form of approval because you are in some sense voting for that candidate. Whereas if I decide to rank every candidate, then I wouldn't consider this to be a vote for my second-to-bottom, any more than it would be if I just truncated and left the bottom two or more.
On the face of it, it does suggest that it might encourage truncation. I might hate my second-to-bottom candidate, so I wouldn't want to cast a vote for them, and if the plurality criterion says that's what I'm doing, then a method passing this criterion might punish me for it. So it seems that I should not rank any of the candidates I hate and just truncate.
Of course, it might be that in practice a method passing plurality won't punish me for a full ranking (it's not something I've greatly studied so I don't know), but the wording of the criterion itself suggests that it might.
Toby