[EM] Best-Single Method-MJ

Toby Pereira tdp201b at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Jun 28 09:33:15 PDT 2019

 Steve
I'll reply all in one lump rather than line by line.
By "utility" I mean basically that every voter has a "happiness" score for each candidate. And these are added up for each candidate to find the utility winner.
By median voter, I mean that in the x dimensional "policy space" every voter will have a position along each axis and will sit as a point on a multi-dimensional graph. We take the median position of these points and find the candidate closest to this point. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geometric_median However, I'm not sure to what extent the assumption of these distinct axes with voters having a well-defined point on each axis actually mirrors reality. But you could in any case model this, and run simulations to find which voting methods (under certain strategical and other assumptions) would work best in practice for this principle.
I haven't replied previously to your posts on MJ, but I have read what some of the other posters have said. I do agree with Chris Benham that "irrelevant ballots" are a problem for MJ. Candidate A beats candidate B until a handful of voters that don't give a rating for either enter the election and then they swap round. They could even be blank ballots, or ballots that explicitly reject every candidate.
Arguably it's a problem that MJ is only concerned with the median (50th percentile) score for each candidate. It might be that candidate A beats candidate B at virtually every percentile apart from the 50th, but that's all MJ cares about. For example:
Candidate A: AAACCCCCandidate B: BBBBFFFF
And in this case, a couple of new voters that reject both would shift the position of the median to favour A, when in reality nothing has really changed in terms of the electorate's view of these candidates relative to each other. Candidate B currently has a very fragile victory over candidate A, which strongly depends on where the median ends up landing. Results under MJ do seem to be very fragile, which is a bad thing.
There will also very often be ties under MJ, which means more than virtually any other conceivable method, it will be reliant on the its tiebreak procedure. Is MJ enough better than other methods and its tiebreak procedure good and robust enough to make MJ a better method overall than other methods that would rarely if ever have to resort to a tiebreak?
I probably won't have the time to trade 1000-word replies by the way!
Toby