[EM] [RangeVoting] 4+slot IBIFA revision

Ted Stern dodecatheon at gmail.com
Wed Jun 12 17:39:00 PDT 2019

See inserted correction below:

On Mon, Jun 3, 2019 at 2:42 PM Ted Stern <dodecatheon at gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
>
> You are *so* close to Relevant Ratings in your proposal.  I just want to
> point out how close and why the one missing factor is important.
>
> You write:
>
>> My idea (originally my misunderstanding of Ted's Relevant Ratings method)
>> is that if at some (quasi-Bucklin) IBIFA round after the first (but before
>> we have reached just counting total approval scores) we find more than one
>> candidate Q qualified to win then instead of (Bucklin-like) giving the win
>> to the Q with the highest score in that round we elect the Q with the
>> highest  score in the round before.
>

> Where this differs from RR is as follows:
>
>    - For each candidate Q qualified to win IBIFA, their total ballots
>    from highest rating down to the current round rating exceed some highest
>    total approval on complementary ballots excluding Q down to that rating.
>    Say that the highest total approval on such complementary ballots is TC.
>    - Your modified IBIFA just looks at the Q totals from the previous
>    round.
>    - My Relevant Ratings method looks only at the previous round Q totals
>    that are larger than their respective TC opposition *in the current
>    round!*
>
> In most situations, the Q you find with your modified IBIFA would be the
> same.  But it is possible that they might not be.  Let's carefully
> construct a 4 slot example, working backwards:
>
> Say we want at least 3 candidates, ratings 3 = Excellent ("A"), 2 = Very
> Good ("B"), 1 = OK ("C"), 0 = disapproved ("D").
>
>    - round 1 totals (scores at 3) of A48, B49, with other candidates
>    below that (and not qualifying in any method)
>    - round 2 totals (scores at 2 and above) of A52, B51, with other
>    candidates below that (and not qualifying in any method)
>    - round 3 totals (scores above 0) of A52, B52, and C > 54, with other
>    candidates below that (only C qualifying under MCA or MJ)
>    - In round 1, we want A48's most approved complementary candidate to
>    be B or C with at least 49
>    - In round 1, we want B49's most approved complementary candidate to
>    be A or C with at least 50
>    - In round 2, we want A52's most approved complementary candidate to
>    be C with at most 47
>    - In round 2, we want B51's most approved complementary candidate to
>    be C with exactly 50.
>    - We want A and B's total approval to be less than 50%, so there must
>    be at least 105 ballots.  So we expect at least 5 irrelevant ballots.
>
> Under this scenario, C will win both MCA and MJ in round 3.  B will win in
> modified IBIFA, as round 2 qualifier with the highest round 1 score.
>
> But A will win both original IBIFA and relevant rating because while both
> A and B qualify in round 2, only A's round 1 score exceeds A's round 2
> complementary approval winner C's approval of 47, while B's round 2 score
> of 49 is below B's complementary approval winner C's score of 50.
>
> Here is a set of ballots that I think satisfies those constraints.

The 04: B > F > C ballots are a typo.  They should be

04: B > A > C

> 25: B > F > C
> 21: B > G > C
> 02: E > D=A > C
> 02: F > E=A > H
> 06: G > F > H
>
> Round 1:  A48 vs complementary approval winner C with 51, B49 vs
> complementary approval winner C with 50.  Neither qualifies
> Round 2:  A52 vs complementary approval winner C with 47, B51 vs
> complementary approval winner C with 48.  Both qualify in IBIFA-derived
> methods, but not in MCA or MJ with less than 50% of ballots
> Round 3:  C99 passes 50% threshold, while A and B still less than 50%
> threshold for tiebreaker.
>
> A52 pairwise beats B51 and is the Condorcet winner (Please check my
> arithmetic!)

Pairwise array (equal rated whole):

A [56.  52.   56.  56.  54.  54.  56.  56.]
B [50.  52.   52.  52.  52.  52.  52.  52.]
C [46.  48.  100.  74.  76.  75.  79. 100.]
D [ 2.  26.   26.  26.  24.  26.  26.  26.]
E [ 4.  26.   26.  26.  26.  24.  26.  26.]
F [33.   8.   33.  33.  33.  33.  27.  33.]
G [27.   6.   27.  27.  27.  27.  27.  27.]
H [ 6.   8.    8.   8.   6.   0.   2.   8.]

A is definitely the Condorcet Winner.