[EM] Discounting ties, how can MinMax differ from Ranked Pairs? ooops!

John john.r.moser at gmail.com
Wed Jun 12 05:36:27 PDT 2019

On Wed, Jun 12, 2019 at 1:37 AM C.Benham <cbenham at adam.com.au> wrote:

> They can't when there are three candidates.  But plain MinMax doesn't meet
> Clone-Winner
>
> You can have a trio of clones in a cycle who all narrowly  pairwise beat
> another single candidate, but
> whose strongest defeats (which are only to each other) are stronger than
> any of that single (Condorcet Loser) candidate's
> defeats (to all of them).
>
> But Smith//MinMax doesn't have that problem and will nearly always give
> the same winner as Ranked Pairs
> (and Schulze and River).
>
> A very small consolation prize for MinMax(Margins) is that unlike those
> methods it meets Mono-add-Top (like IRV).
>
> How does all of this compare to Tideman's Alternative?

1.  Identify Condorcet winner;
2.  If no Condorcet winner, identify Top Cycle;
3.  Eliminate all candidates not in Top Cycle;
4.  Eliminate remaining candidate with fewest votes;
5.  Go to 1.

I tend to use the Schwartz Set for the Condorcet Winner, and the Smith Set
for the Top Cycle.  I've found the Schwartz Set is nearly always one
candidate.

I know TA is independent of smith-dominated alternatives, but I haven't
determined if it's LIIA or reversal-symmetry (apparently Schulze isn't LIIA
and ranked pairs is, but I don't see how).  I doubt it satisfies
later-no-harm and later-no-help, but the run-off step at 4 might allow it
to.