[EM] Condorcet Loser, and equivalents

John john.r.moser at gmail.com
Thu Jun 6 15:24:10 PDT 2019

That's a good question.

With the straight-line loser cycle, it's obvious: you can keep adding
Condorcet losers.  {A,B,C} is the smith set, D is the Condorcet loser.  If
you add E, such that {A,B,C,D} defeat E, E is the Condorcet loser.  Nothing
has changed, so what is different now about D?

To extend this, if you add {E,F} such that {A,B,C} is the Smith set and
{D,E,F}  would be the Smith set if we excluded {A,B,C} (thus there are two
cycles), we reach your concern:  we have now constructed a situation where
Condorcet Loser D is not the Condorcet Loser, and can be elected without
violating the Condorcet Loser criterion.

This sort of implies that Condorcet Loser is a meaningless criterion.

Consider IRV, with candidates {A,B,C} such that the first-round vote totals
are A>B>C, thus C is eliminated.  C votes go to B, A is eliminated, B wins.

Well now we add Candidate D.  D takes some votes from B, and now the vote
totals are A>C>D>B.  B is eliminated, some of B votes go to C, some go to
D.  It's now C>D>A, A is eliminated.  C defeats D one-on-one, C wins.

We can contrive this such that B is able to defeat A, C, or D one-on-one,
and is the Condorcet candidate.  As well, perhaps A defeats C, so C is the
Condorcet Loser.  Adding D eliminates B and captures votes from A, and this
causes the defeat of A, and then C defeats D.

It doesn't actually need to be so contrived, though.

Consider that B is the Condorcet Winner.  in A vs. B, B has a simple
majority, and A is the Condorcet Loser.

Add C and C becomes the Condorcet Loser:  B defeats A, B defeats C.  Under
IRV, B is not eliminated first round, so B wins.

Now add Candidate D.  B splits votes with C and D, causing B to lose.

At this point, you have a string of progressively-added Condorcet losers.
The elections {A,B}, {A,B,C}, and {A,B,C,D} all have B as the Condorcet
Winner; yet by adding the two extra candidates {C,D}, we have split the
vote for B, causing ANY OTHER CANDIDATE to win.

So the Condorcet Loser criteria may actually be pointless entirely, and may
be analogous to Smith-efficiency.  There's a real mathematical effect here
where we can't elect the absolute loser because e.g. IRV runs down to a
two-way race, but you can circumvent this by adding another candidate (or
several others) and eliminating those candidates who defeat a given
candidate one-on-one.

In other words:  a criterion which banks on the qualities of who we don't
elect might inherently be vulnerable to the strategy of eliminating that
individual.