[EM] Ranked Ranks

Forest Simmons fsimmons at pcc.edu
Wed Jun 5 19:54:07 PDT 2019

I don't want to detract from the glory of Improved Copeland with another
post, but here goes:

A recent suggestion of Kevin was to start with all of the ranks in place,
and then to flatten more and more ranks (in a certain order) until a ballot
CW emerges.

Here's a way to do it in the opposite order:

"Annealing"

Start with only the strongest rank symbols in place.

This gives an approval order.

Add in the next strongest rankings, to sort the approval list pairwise.

Then add in more rankings, and sort again.

etc.
Until all of the rankings are used in the final sort.

I call it "annealing" because it is like the process of compactifying the
molecules in a piece of metal by repeated partial heatings and coolings.

It could also be called the resistant starch method, because re-heating and
cooling cooked rice or baked potatoes adds additional resistant starch (up
to a point).