[EM] What are some simple methods that accomplish the following conditions?

Forest Simmons fsimmons at pcc.edu
Mon Jun 3 13:31:24 PDT 2019

Chris,

Yes, we did, and I still do believe that Approval Sorted Margins is a
superior method to DMC.  In fact, Approval sorted Margins and Covering
Enhanced Approval are my two favorite Condorcet compliant methods. However,
the order for ease of explaining and selling to the public seems to be the
opposite of my preference order in the case of these three methods.  I
could be wrong on this point.

BTW, I like the recent tweaks you are making to IBIFA.

I don't consider Asset Voting a settled deterministic method, since the are
no agreed upon constraints about how the candidates are allowed to use
their "assets."

Here's a version that I would support:  A base election method is
established well before voting takes place. Voters submit as much ranking
or rating information (relevant to the base method) as they like, and if
not sure where to place the approval cutoff (for example) they can indicate
both an upper and lower limit for the approval cutoff, and (by some code)
request their favorite to choose where in that interval to mark the cutoff.
At the other extreme of voter trust of favorite, voters may simply indicate
that they would like their ballot to be an exact replica of their
favorite's. In any case, the voter specifies how much discretionary "power
of attorney" so to speak gets delegated to their indicated proxy.

Once the candidate proxies have made their requested amendments to the
ballots, then the election is decided by those ballots in the previously
agreed upon base method.

If the voter has n candidates tied for favorite and cannot make up her mind
among them, then she can submit the entire set of n favorites, in which
case each of those favorites gets a copy of her ballot to amend,, and each
of those amended ballots gets a weight of 1/n in the election.

Can you think of anything closer to Strong FBC compliance than this
candidate proxy enhancement of any good base method?

What voters want more than anything else is Strong FBC compliance.  They
know that Approval does not satisfy the Strong FBC, and they (wrongly)
believe that IRV does satisfy it. That's the main reason they think IRV is
better than Approval. The other reason they prefer IRV is that they don't
feel confident about deciding on approval cutoff's.

Candidate Proxy Ballot Enhancement (CPBE?) takes care of their approval
cutoff indecision, and gives them (the closest possible thing to) true
compliance with the Strong FBC.

I would suggest Approval Sorted Margins for the base method, since that
method (by adjusting approval cutoffs) takes care of Chicken Defense and
other basic defensive strategy requirements. Voters submit rankings or
ratings with upper and lower limits for the approval cutoff (when in
doubt), etc.(as indicated above).

Forest

On Sun, Jun 2, 2019 at 3:34 PM C.Benham <cbenham at adam.com.au> wrote:

> [...]
>> elect). *
>>
>> And analogous to Chris's equivalence between Approval Sorted Margins and
>> Condorcet(approval margins), we have the equivalence between DMC and
>> Condorcet(winning approval).
>>
>> Of course we are talking explicit approval every time we say approval in
>> this context.
>>
>> We know that none of these Condorcet efficient methods satisfies the FBC,
>> but how about MDDA with explicit approval instead of its implicit approval
>> default?
>>
>> This has the problem that Chris has pointed out in MJ and other Bucklin
>> versions where addition of irrelevant ballots can change a majority of
>> ballots into a minority.
>>
>> So here's my idea: do MDDA with explicit approval AND symmetric
>> completion of all of the ballots except for the Top Rank.  By excusing the
>> top rank from symmetric completion, we preserve the FBC, but we lose the
>> Condorcet Criterion.
>>
>> [This shows how close we can get to both the CC and the FBC, if we do a
>> full symmetric completion including the top rank, then this version of MDDA
>> satisfies the CC but not the FBC. We can toggle back and forth.
>> Suppose that we balance on the edge (of symmetric completion in the top
>> rank or not) with asset voting so the proxies could finesse this
>> difference. The unsophisticated voters could just vote their favorites,
>> etc. Would this come even closer to satisfying both the CC and the FBC? In
>> other words mightn't this expedient externalize the strategizing enough to
>> satisfy both FBC and CC for all practical purposes?]
>>
>> I think that the FBC is more important in this context, so suggest that
>> we exempt at least the top rank from symmetric completion if not all of the
>> approved ranks.
>>
>> Now what about the irrelevant ballots problem?  I think that symmetric
>> completion, if only for the truncated candidates, would suffice.  If X and
>> Y are both truncated on N new ballots then N/2 of them count for X>Y and
>> N/2 of them count for Y>X so a majority defeat between X and Y is preserved.
>>
>> Note that symmetric completion among only the truncated candidates is the
>> same as "half power truncation."
>>
>> This brings me to another question.  Suppose that voters knew that
>> candidate B became a plurality loser because of insincere truncation.
>> Would they feel so bad it B won anyway?
>>
>> This leads to a weak form of Plurality:  If a candidate fails Plurality,
>> even after the ballots have been symmetrically completed, then that
>> candidate must not be elected.
>>
>> Would this weak form be adequate?
>>
>> Thanks for your great ideas and interest in these questions!
>>
>> Forest
>>

>> On Sat, Jun 1, 2019 at 12:49 PM Kevin Venzke <stepjak at yahoo.fr> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Forest,
>>>
>>> I had two ideas.
>>>
>>> Idea 1:
>>> 1. If there is a CW using all rankings, elect the CW.
>>> 2. Otherwise flatten/discard all disapproved rankings.
>>> 3. Use any method that would elect C in scenario 2. (Approval, Bucklin,