[EM] What are some simple methods that accomplish the following conditions?

C.Benham cbenham at adam.com.au
Sat Jun 1 08:13:27 PDT 2019

> In the example profiles below 100 = P+Q+R, and  50>P>Q>R>0.  One
> consequence of these constraints is that in all three profiles below
> the cycle A>B>C>A will obtain.
> (3) elect candidate B given
> P: A
> Q: B>>C  (or B>C)
> R: C>>B. (or C>B)

Forest,
In your profile (3),  isn't B simply the Condorcet winner?   (And so
there is no "cycle A>B>C>A")

You presumably have in mind that the ballot will allow voters indicate
an approval threshold in their rankings. In that case one method fills
the bill is good old
Approval Sorted Margins:

https://wiki.electorama.com/wiki/Approval_Sorted_Margins

I think that method is somewhat better at resisting Burial than
Smith//Approval(explicit), which in this April 2002 EM post by Adam Tarr
is called
"Approval-Completed Condorcet":
http://lists.electorama.com/pipermail/election-methods-electorama.com//2002-April/073341.html
> The following are the sincere preferences of my example electorate:
> 49: Bush>Gore>Nader 12: Gore>Bush>Nader 12: Gore>Nader>Bush 27:
> Nader>Gore>Bush**
> Say that some of the Gore>Bush>Nader voters were extremely
> non-strategic and decided to approve both Bush and Gore. So the votes
> now look like: 49: Bush>>Nader>Gore 6: Gore>Bush>>Nader 6:
> Gore>>Bush>Nader 6: Gore>>Nader>Bush 6: Gore>Nader>>Bush 27:
> Nader>Gore>>Bush Now, Bush wins the approval runoff 55-51-33. This is
> where ACC's favorite betrayal scenario comes in. Since Bush wins the
> approval vote, the only way the majority can guarantee a Gore win is
> to make Gore the initial Condorcet winner, which requires that the
> Nader camp vote Gore in first place.

Where  Smith//explicit Approval  fails,  Approval Sorted Margins easily
elects the sincere Condorcet winner.

Gore's approval score is 51 and Nader's is 33. Both adjacent pairs (B-N
and N-B) are pairwise out of order.  The gap between 55 and 51
is (much) smaller than that between 51 and 33, so we flip the order of
that pair to give the final order N>B>G which has no adjacent
pair out of order pairwise.

Also giving the same result would be to use Approval(explicit) Margins
as the measure of defeat strength in a traditional Condorcet method
like Schulze or Ranked Pairs or Smith//MinMax.

Chris Benham

---
https://www.avg.com